Weddings involve an overwhelming number of moving parts. There are logistics you cannot even imagine until you are knee-deep in planning your wedding. That can take away from the fun and even the relevance of key moments, but there is one thing that is common to all weddings that can bring you back into the moment and help you find joy on what is sure to be a huge day in your life. What is it? The music you choose. It is why your wedding DJ should be carefully chosen, and why limiting yourself only to top songs is not always the right way to go.
Today’s Hits and Yesterday’s Favorites…Plus, YOUR Personal Favorites
Ask anyone familiar with wedding planning and entertainment – especially a wedding DJ, and they will tell you that, “While you carefully hand-pick every detail to make it perfect, oftentimes music falls to the back of your mind and almost becomes an afterthought. Music plays a much larger role than you may think.”
You want all of your guests on the dance floor having fun, making memories and helping you celebrate. You also want music that truly reflects you and your fiance’s style, and so it is about far more than entertainment and top songs. Yet, many experts recommend that you begin building a “playlist” long before contacting a wedding DJ. This allows you to build your wedding play list over time. It also gives you the option to fine tune your list prior to your wedding day. You can even provide a guest request link so your guests can also be a part of your wedding day entertainment. You can then sit down with your wedding DJ and have them help you pick your top songs and blend them with popular choices in the year or season of your wedding.
Also, remember that you don’t want your wedding day entertainment to end up feeling random or, even worse, include songs that bring about negative emotions. So, as you make a list of your Must Play songs, remember to give your wedding DJ a list of the “Do NOT Play” songs, too.
The focus of your work on your wedding music should be three-fold. It should aim to:
- Get everyone on the dance floor!
- Represent your preferences in music as a couple, and include songs that have very special meaning to you, Songs you grew up with or that bring back high school or college memories of your friends!
- Block any songs or artists that neither of you wants to hear on your special day
A tool that will help you create playlists and plan your event is Soundwaves Entertainment’s Event Planning Tool. This is an online tool that allows you to create a Must Play List, Play If Possible, Do Not Play, Special Dedications, Play Only If Requested, and Dinner Music. You can customize each list to match your style and musical taste. There are also lists of the most requested and most popular songs for bridal party introductions, Parent Dances, cake cutting, Bouquet and Garter songs and even songs for your Last Dance. A good wedding DJ can look at your list, and know how to gauge the music throughout the reception by saving all of the good dance songs for after dinner and the songs that are not so danceable can be played during cocktail hour and mellower songs during dinner. This allows you to be able to play all of your personal favorites during your reception at the right times.
To help you with this, here a list of the 34 top wedding songs chosen by our couples from wedding receptions from the past year.
The Most Requested Songs for a Wedding DJ: 2019 Edition
For entertainment value, dancing, and as part of a great wedding, here are the top wedding songs from 2019:
- Whitney Houston – I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)
- Mark Ronson feat. Bruno Mars – Uptown Funk
- Neil Diamond – Sweet Caroline
- Journey – Don’t Stop Believin’
- Walk The Moon – Shut Up And Dance
- Earth, Wind, and Fire – September
- Justin Timberlake – Can’t Stop The Feeling!
- Usher – Yeah!
- Cupid – Cupid Shuffle
- ABBA – Dancing Queen
- Bon Jovi – Livin’ On A Prayer
- Killers – Mr. Brightside
- DJ Casper – Cha Cha Slide
- Black Eyed Peas – I Gotta Feeling
- Backstreet Boys – Everybody (Backstreet’s Back)
- Luis Fonsi feat. Daddy Yankee – Despacito
- Spice Girls – Wannabe
- OutKast – Hey Ya!
- Van Morrison – Brown Eyed Girl
- Ed Sheeran – Perfect
- Bruno Mars – 24k Magic
- Kenny Loggins – Footloose
- V.I.C. – Wobble
- Bruno Mars – Marry You
- AC/DC – You Shook Me All Night Long
- Garth Brooks – Friends In Low Places
- Beyonce feat. Jay-Z – Crazy In Love
- B-52’s – Love Shack
- Flo Rida – Low
- Beatles – Twist And Shout
- Taylor Swift – Shake It Off
- Elvis Presley – Can’t Help Falling In Love
- Cardi B, Bad Bunny, and J Balvin – I Like It
- Miley Cyrus – Party In The U.S.A.
You can see the full Top 200 Most Requested Wedding Songs in 2019 here.
If you are interested in the Top Do Not Play Songs of 2019, you can see those here.
Ask your wedding DJ or entertainment company for help choosing from the top songs, and when you are ready to enjoy the most personalized and professional help in choosing your wedding day music, get in touch with SoundWaves Entertainment, offering premium Wedding DJs in Harrisburg, Lancaster, and York, PA, and Central PA, as well as Baltimore.